Time entry

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Tue Feb 23 00:12:10 EST 2010

Here is a text entry field so that a user can enter a time in a field in a "shorthand" and get a full, properly formatted date out of it.

Here are some examples:

enter this = get this

1 = 1:00 PM
12 = 12:00 PM
123 = 1:23 PM
1234 = 12:34 PM

add an "a" at the end for am, like:

1a = 1:00 AM

We have been using this for a few years and everyone really likes it, it seems intuitive and faster than any other method of entering a time.

field script:

   ON enterInField
       convertTime
   END enterInField

   ON returnInField
       convertTime
   END returnInField

   ON closeField
       convertTime
   END closeField

put this somewhere in the message path:

   ON convertTime
       put the text of the target into t
       IF (char -1 to -2 of t = "am") OR (char -1 of t = "a") THEN
           put "AM" into ampm
       ELSE
           put "PM" into ampm
       END IF
       REPEAT for each char c in t
           IF c is a number THEN put c after t2
       END REPEAT

       SWITCH
       CASE the number of chars of t2 < 3
           put ":00" after t2
           break
       CASE the number of chars of t2 = 3
           put char 1 of t2 & ":" & char 2 to 3 of t2 into t2
           break
       CASE the number of chars of t2 = 4
           put char 1 to 2 of t2 & ":" & char 3 to 4 of t2 into t2
           break
       END SWITCH
       put space & ampm after t2
       put t2 into the target