Here's a concrete example of the linux font problem

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 12:14:13 EST 2010

The kids were doing something that did not involve me
(the perfect way to teach!  they play with my EFL content
programs while I muck around with RunRev stuff)

. . . so added a button to my "FontLister" stack with the
following script:

on mouseUp
    open file "FontList.txt"
    put fld "FONTZ" into FONTZ
    write FONTZ to file "FontList.txt"
end mouseUp

Rocket science it ain't: but what it does allow me to
do is use TextWrangler to check output lists and compare
them.

So ran the stack using RR 2.2.1, RR 4.0 and MC 4.0 on my
Ubuntu box and then compared the output files using
TextWrangler over on the Mac:

All the same

ran the stack downstairs in the school on one of the
Ubuntu boxes down there running 5.10 (one upstairs
runs 8.04.4) and found I ended up with an identical
situation:

not a single one of my hand-installed fonts showed up.

A few conclusions:

1. RunRev have done nothing about this situation between versions 2.2.1
and 4.0

but, maybe they cannot because

2. Ubuntu have done nothing about this between versions 5.10 and 8.0.4