[OT] Languages and cultures (was Re: survey)

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 04:14:41 EST 2010

>>> OK, I wasn't going to say anything, but seeings you are stumped, just
>>> think of the other benefits the Gay family enjoys... Divorces must be
>>> cheap, all you need do is move to a State where Gay marriages aren't
>>> recognized ;-)
>>
>> I'll keep that in mind. :) So far we still like each other though.
>>
> All I can say is that, despite being boringly monogamous and heterosexual
> I am almost continually "Happy, Bright and Gay"
>
> AND . . .
>
> How a word that 500 years ago meant heterosexually loose managed to go
> via "Jolly" to what it means now entirely escapes me - 'tis very queer . . .
>  :)

I think it is changing again. My teenage sons refer to anything they
don't like as being "gay".
So a difficult assignment is "gay"; missing the bus is "gay"; a
teacher who growls at them is "gay".

It doesn't have to be a person, and while it has certainly not
reverted to it's original meaning, it is losing it's homosexual
connotations. But maybe that is just here in Australia.

Cheers,
Sarah

P.S. Sorry Jacque - I'm sure they wouldn't think that you were "gay" :-)