Search / replace

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Fri Feb 19 22:48:00 EST 2010

Glen Bojsza wrote:

> Sorry to bother everyone but either I'm tired or brain dead.
>
> I have a field which has hundreds of lines.
>
> For all [ in the field I need to check to see if the character to it's
> immediate left is a number.
>
> If it is a number then the [ is to be converted into an _.
>
> If it is not a number then the [ is to be removed (no substitution or
> spaces).
>
> I need to be able to cycle through the entire field which each line may
> contain several [.
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated as I have tried using a combination
> of
> find characters and foundchunk on the field without success.

Use the *offset()* function as in:

On replaceChar
	Local tOffset, tCharsToSkip, tFieldText
	----
	put 0 into tCharsToSkip
	put fld "theFieldName" into tFieldText
	repeat
		put offset("[",tFieldText,tCharsToSkip) into tOffset
		if tOffset = 0 then exit repeat
		if char (tOffset - 1) of tFieldText is an integer then
			replace char tOffset of tFieldText with "_"
			put tOffset + 1 into tCharsToSkip
		else
			replace char tOffset of tFieldText with empty
			put tOffset into tCharsToSkip
	end repeat
	put tFieldText into fld "theFieldName"
end replaceChar