Best Release Practices and the word "fortnight"

Luis luis at anachreon.co.uk
Thu Feb 18 17:54:19 EST 2010

And further along the translation highway...

I was reading the list of ingredients on an English bottle of ketchup we
had bought in Spain (oh the profanity!) translating as I went along into
Spanish. I got to 'preservatives' and read it out as 'preservativos',
which is the official word for a 'rubber' (in the prophylactic sense) in
Spain.
They didn't want any on their chips.

I also heard of this one:
In a restaurant in Portugal they had Goose Barnacles on the menu.
In Spanish, and it appears in Portuguese also, they are called 'Percebes'.
Now, the proprietor wisely consulted a Portuguese to English dictionary
to offer these delicacies to a wider audience. Unfortunately (maybe it
was  a concise dictionary) the other meaning for 'percebes' in
Portuguese is 'understanding', which he didn't. So they were offering
'understandings' on the menu.

It's a weird, wonderful world.

Cheers,

Luis.