[OT] Languages and cultures (was Re: survey)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Feb 18 14:09:01 EST 2010

Bernard Devlin wrote:
> Every attempt I make at pronouncing a word in Thai is greeted
> with furrowed brows or hilarity (and often in that order).

A Cambodian acquaintance was telling me how Americans just can't hear
the different intonations in their language. She gave as an example the
words for "dog" and...um... male bits, which are identical except for
the tonalities. I made her repeat the words several times and I could
not for the life of me hear any difference at all. I tried to say "dog"
and she exploded in laughter.

Which makes me quite certain that I never, ever want to inquire about a
lost dog in Cambodia.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com