FYI: writing to and reading from fields much faster than locals, globals or custom properties

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Feb 18 12:03:58 EST 2010

Kay C Lan wrote:

> Obviously you are not experiencing normal so many of us here would be
> very interested in more details to understand why. And if I were a
> betting man, I'd be putting my money on the end result will be using
> Globals will be the fastest option for you.

Agreed. Dr. Raney once told me speed was in this order:

global variables
local variables
custom properties
fields

So I too would like to know what the situation is where fields could
possibly be faster than the other options. If the field is hidden or the
IDE is not running (i.e., a CGI,) I might be able to see that fields
could be as fast as custom properties since most of the overhead of
writing to fields involves the drawing routines. But it shouldn't be
faster than variables.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com