Words Indexing strategies

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 22:24:00 EST 2010

Hi Bernard,

on Thu, 11 Feb 2010 09:13:46 +0000
Bernard Devlin wrote:

> Like Brian, I was going to suggest existing search technologies like
> Lucene.  Why re-invent the wheel?  I understand you not wanting to
> ship Java and get the user to install it.  However there may be other
> pre-existing solutions to your problem.

Hopefully

> Is it imperative to your solution that these 28 text compressed text
> files are part of the solution?  I mean, are you trying to maintain
> the structure of the solution such that someone who comes along and
> looks at your solution can see where Rev fits in.  Or can your indexes
> be stored in a database?

Sure, these indexes could be stored in a database.

> The reason I say this is because a) Valentina already has two forms of
> text searches (one form is very fast but only looks up single words,
> the other form can search an entire database using regex but is
> slower, and probably not fast enough for your requirements).  Unless
> you already have Valentina for each platform, this solution will
> involve you in the cost of buying licenses.
> The other thing to consider is that sqlite already has a full-text
> search facility (although I think you may have to compile it as a
> sqlite plug-in and distribute it with your application).   It does
> things like word-stemming, stop lists, frequencies, etc.  You would
> have to distribute this sqlite add-on with your solution.

I have a dll named: dbsqlite.dll (452 K) in my Rev Studio instalation.
If an experienced database developer could lend a hand, i would be
really grateful.

> If you still want a Rev-only solution let us know.  Maybe someone else
> will chip in with suggestions :-)

Yes, a Rev-only solution would be ideal.
I remember that Rob Cozens wrote a Rev-Only database,
but my inexperience with databases does not help me
to fully appreciate this work.

Thanks a lot for your advice! :-)

Alejandro