OT: Playing MP3's on Web Pages (was "Our Place in Hawaii")

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Feb 11 20:55:03 EST 2010

Howard Bornstein wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Sivakatirswami <katir at hindu.org> wrote:
>

>> Some may wonder where we are and what it's like here. A recent visitor,
>> with a high end camera did an amazing job and I could not resist putting
>> this into an iRev slide show.
>>

>> http://www.himalayanacademy.com/slideshows/aadheenam/2009/ka_2009-12-30_thushyanthan-aadheenam/
>>

>  Sadly, this link completely and repeatedly crashes Firefox for me :-(

Strange... on Windows or on your Mac?

There sadly still seems to be no on good way to simply play mp3's on a
web page that runs well on all browsers and platforms. Of course there
are little flash widgets to drive audio, and they work, but I get a bad
taste in my mouth every time I cave in to Flash Hegemony (I won't go on
here about that...)

After hours of research I found this, rather naively accepted the
statement on the site that it was a crossplatform option:

<object
data="http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/yogaswami/natchintanai/pg-65_Engal-Gurunaathan/pg-65_Engal-Gurunaathan_SL.mp3"
type="application/x-mplayer2" width="0" height="0">
     <param name="filename"
value="http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/yogaswami/natchintanai/pg-65_Engal-Gurunaathan/pg-65_Engal-Gurunaathan_SL.mp3">
    <param name="autostart" value="1">
    <param name="playcount" value="true">
    <object
data="http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/yogaswami/natchintanai/pg-65_Engal-Gurunaathan/pg-65_Engal-Gurunaathan_SL.mp3"
width="0" height="0">
         <param name="filename"
value="http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/yogaswami/natchintanai/pg-65_Engal-Gurunaathan/pg-65_Engal-Gurunaathan_SL.mp3">
    <param name="autostart" value="1">
    <param name="playcount" value="true">
    </object>
    </object>

Only to find out later that the x-mplayer2  calls Windows Media Player
(hence Flip for Mac on OS X)

On one site we are currently staging in Drupal (stalled now, and I'm not
sure we really want to go there -- Drupal seems to be  an esoteric
beast! Only dragon slayers can walk in those swamps!)  one module for
playing sound using this embed code:

<embed
src='http://himalayanacademy.com/audio/inspiredtalks/bodhinatha/2009/bd_2009-03-14_Control-of-Speech.mp3'
autostart='false' width='220' height='30'></embed>

Though I think the above is deprecated in favor of "object" but appears
to be totally browser, media player "agnostic" and looks like it is
hoping to stay out of the way and let the local machine/browser make up
its mind how to play the media.

Howard, I changed the embed code the simple version above. can you try
again?

I wonder how RunRev is doing on its cross platform media playing
capabilities... anyone doing it no in a revlet, successfully, everywhere?

Sivakatirswami