Quickly View Contents Of An Array
lists at mangomultimedia.com
Wed Feb 10 11:48:53 CST 2010
On Feb 9, 2010, at 7:48 PM, Andrew Kluthe wrote:
> And is SQL Yoga worth it? My boss told me I can get whatever plugins
> I need
> to improve my productivity. I looked into it a bit but it seems to
> be what I
> have my DB handlers written for.
> What is the benefit of SQL Yoga vs Custom handlers?
Sorry, I missed this question the first time around until I saw Bob's
Here are just some of the benefits I get with SQL Yoga. As background
I've been working with SQL Databases for over 12 years so I'm not
relying on SQL Yoga to write SQL that I don't already know.
* SQL Yoga allows you to think of your Database, tables and records as
* SQL Yoga manages the connection ids and cursor ids for you behind
* SQL Yoga plays the role of a database interface library that you
would write by hand in a Revolution project. It knows all about your
schema so there is no shim layer to write or update. Just use the SQL
Yoga commands for creating, updating, deleting or querying records.
* SQL Yoga allows you to interact with data in the database using
arrays. This speeds up development time considerably.
* Since you are creating objects and setting properties as opposed to
wrapping hand-written SQL strings in functions you can experiment and
iterate more quickly.
* SQL Yoga allows english strings in search conditions (begins with,
ends with, etc.).
- SQL Yoga can treat your tables as objects.
* Define specific search conditions using scopes. Multiple scopes can
be added to a query based on UI input and a WHERE clause is
automatically generated for you based on all scope conditions.
* Add properties to your tables. For example, a property that returns
a date column in the database as a nicely formatted string or a
property that returns a full name based on the values of the FirstName
and LastName columns in a record.
* Add data validation routines that get called when creating or
updating data in a table.
* Add callbacks that get called when creating, updating or deleting
- You can tell SQL Yoga about table relationships and then leverage
those relationships in your code.
* SQL Yoga automatically generates joins for you and can convert query
results into a hierarchal nested array.
* Given a record from a table SQL Yoga can fetch all related records
in a related table.
* SQL Yoga has commands for automatically linking/unlinking records in
Blue Mango Learning Systems
Releasable Revolution Resources for Developers: http://revolution.bluemangolearning.com
More information about the use-livecode