anyone found a way around 4-5 second latency in read from process?

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Mon Feb 8 15:24:12 EST 2010

We have been experimenting with many combinations of syntax variants  for "open process"/"read from process" to communicate with various command-line driven executables.

We are using a callback loop to read from process, and have tried from 1 to 800 milliseconds to try and speed up response.

We have tried read from process until lf, until cr, until eof, until empty, etc.

Things are working, but there is always about a 4 - 5 second latency in the "read from process". Usually this doesn't matter, but in our current project it needs to be within a second or less.

So, I am wondering:

1. Is there something we could do to eliminate this delay, some syntax we haven't yet tried?

2. Have other developers noticed this latency in the Rev I/O pipeline?

3. Would writing an Rev external that served as a middleman between Rev and a command-line driven executable eliminate this problem and provide near real time communication?

4. Is there another way to communicate with command-line driven executables (other than "shell", which doesn't provide for a callback loop to monitor output)

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this.