on-rev queries

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Thu Feb 4 19:15:33 EST 2010

Bob, on my last project I had some time-outs issues - I thought at the time
it was more 'economical' to keep the connection open for multiple queries
and I spend a whole bunch of energy making a "pinger" to keep the connection
open  -- That was probably true for the 65 or so rapid fire queries I was
doing for a special app;  open , do 65 queries, close.  But I found that
leaving the connection open all the time was really pointless - there isn't
that much latency in the opening and closing of connections - most of the
time is spent funneling textual data to the client - the database.   In the
end I now think that closing often is good - it releases the server when not
needed.
Stephen Barncard
San Francisco
http://houseofcubes.com/disco.irev