Polygonflow: clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Feb 3 19:33:56 EST 2010

Alex Tweedly wrote:

> I'll post a couple of suggested solutions shortly (once I've got the
> stack running properly)

There are two approaches (at least) that consistently get the same
answers as we all intuitively "know" are correct.

By AREA.

Calculate the (signed) area between each edge and some baseline (i.e.
the area enclosed by the edge itself, its projectino onto the baseline
and the two projection lines). Sum this area for all edges. Looking at
whether this is positive or negative gives an answer.

By Point.

Find the leftmost, lowest point (**). (i.e. the one with the lowest X
value, and of all those having the same X value, the lowest Y value).
(Note that this same point (value) can occur multiple times in a
polygon, due to self-intersection or self-overlapping polygons - this
doesn't matter, just pick any of those points).  Looking at the previous
and next points, determine the change of direction implied for these two
edges (you could use the cross-product to do this, or simply normalize
and compare the gradients).

(**) - this description assumes 'normal' cartesian coordinates. Beware
that RunRev uses a coordinate system where the vertical axis is
"upside-down", so increasing Y values are associated with moving downawards.

Some sample code - adopted from elsewhere (and translated into revtalk)
- with only moderate testing, but I'm fairly confident I converted it
fairly accurately.
(It's a bit wordy, but seemed clearer that way).