Getting data from a secure web page

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 19:01:29 EST 2010

Hi All,

I need the ability to download a secure web page (I have the login
details) and get data from it. This is so I can allow everyone to
monitor internet usage, so we don't go over in a month and get
speed-capped to dial-up to speeds.

On my browser, I go to
<https://memberservices.optuszoo.com.au/login/?target=/myusage/>
and when I enter the name & password, I get to
<https://memberservices.optuszoo.com.au/myusage/> which has the data I
need.

I have tried using Rev directly:
    put URL "https://memberservices.optuszoo.com.au/myusage/"
and
    put URL "https://username:password@memberservices.optuszoo.com.au/myusage/"
but these give no data at all.

Then I tried curl, but I have to say I find it very confusing with
it's multitude of options. I tried several options that gave nothing
and some that gave me back a web page, but always just the login page
again.

revBrowser allows me to get the login page, enter my details and
login, then get the html source so I can find the usage data I need,
but this is only a useful technique if I have a way to submit a form
automatically from a revBrowser.

So does anyone have a way of getting data from a page like this?

TIA,
Sarah