extract by delimiter

Nonsanity rev at nonsanity.com
Wed Dec 29 00:12:19 EST 2010

I've tested both Yahoo and Google's (undocumented) REST APIs for weather,
but settled on NOAA's:

http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/xml/sample_products/browser_interface/ndfdXMLclient.php?lat=38.99&lon=-77.01&product=glance&begin=2010-12-28T00:00:00&end=2011-01-03T00:00:00<%20http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/xml/sample_products/browser_interface/ndfdXMLclient.php?lat=38.99&lon=-77.01&product=glance&begin=2010-12-28T00:00:00&end=2011-01-03T00:00:00>

Note that first the output defines one or more time series with a name like
"k-p24h-n5-1", then has sections for each of the results. The URL above uses
the "glance" setting, so it always gives the same result categories. The NOAA
page on the API <http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/xml/rest.php> goes into
more detail about what other data types you can fetch.

The thing to note is that the time series name is human readable. "p24h"
means 24 hours per sample, and "n5" means 5 samples.

Nice thing is, it takes raw lat/lon. No conversion to zip code or other
location metric. I've already got a nice temp chart going. Just don't fetch
the data more than once an hour in the final product - There's no point, as
it only updates once per hour on the 45's.

 ~ Chris Innanen
 ~ Nonsanity