What with all it's features and platforms I sometimes forget

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 03:41:16 EST 2010

On 12/23/2010 11:27 PM, DunbarX at aol.com wrote:
> Richmond:
>
> I don't know, it is much more the process, not the results. It has to be
> seen as accessable, fun, intuitive, easy, startling.

Yes; but to me that sounds like all the cheap crap they rabbit on about
everywhere;
everything has to be 'fun', 'easy' and so on.

Well; good, effective programming is rarely either EASY or FUN; and more
often
than not involves a lot of prolonged effort, thought, and hard work.

Half of today's problems revolve around the totally crapulous idea that
one can
have something for nothing; the "I want it now" brigade with their vacuous,
thought-quenching non sequiturs such as 'accessible', 'intuitive' and
'startling'
(and that is NOT an attack on you) who suffer from very short attention
spans.

I have been working with RunRev/Livecode for about 9-10 years now, and prior
to that with Hypercard and ToolBook. I still have great difficulty in
some areas
and find some parts of Livecode quite counter-intuitive, fairly 'un'fun and
hard. But that is because word such as 'intuitive', 'fun' and 'easy' are
subjective,
and anybody with a half-working brain, realising that, will not take
advertising
involving those words seriously.

> It also has to be seen as utterly capable; I get that. But those first
> things first.

Livecode can be utterly capable in the hands of an experienced
programmer; rather like
a Fugu fish can NOT give you 'tummy ache' in the hands of an experienced
chef. But one
can become bogged down with Livecode if one does not understand the
underlying
principles and how computer code works.

To tell would-be end-users that they can create wonderful things without
a fairly serious
investment of time and effort is simply disingenuous.