Getting a public IP address when connected to a router

Keith Clarke keith.clarke at clarkeandclarke.co.uk
Sun Dec 19 19:24:45 EST 2010

How about using a dynamic DNS service from dyndns.com, noip.com or similar to provide you with a fixed public host name with pseudo-fixed IP address?

I use the free dyndns.com service to map a couple of host names to my home server, which sits behind a BT Home Hub router. The router contains a dynamic DNS client that advises the dyndns.com name server if my IP address is changed. The router maintains NAT to protect the IP addresses of client machines on my home LAN and its firewall has service/port forwarding to pass the specific http/https/FTP services through to my Mac Mini. If your router has no DDNS updater built-in - or if you just have a modem and single machine - you can install an update client app on your computer.
HTH,
Keith..