closeField - Curious

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Dec 19 00:02:52 EST 2010

On 12/18/10 10:18 PM, Mike Kerner wrote:
> Hold up on that answer for a second.  I have encountered
> something...odd...that I don't understand yet.  Perhaps there's some other
> handler somewhere that I don't see because trapping this condition
> inconsistently demonstrates this problem.

If you can't find the reason in your scripts, it might have to do with
the message hierarchy. I've hit the same snag before and ended up adding
a check for "the selectedfield" at the top of the button script that
navigates. I.e.:

  if the selectedfield is not empty
  then send "closefield" to this card

What I think could be happening is that the button gets a mouseup, the
engine sends a few automatic messages like closefield as needed, then
the button executes it's own script. Only one handler can execute at a
time, so by the time the closefield passes to the card, the card has
already changed and there is no closefield handler there to catch the
message. Or if it does have one, you get the second card's closefield
handler activating instead.

At least, that's how it looks.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com