OT: Problems with Inserting Odd Characters into PostGreSQL

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon Dec 13 16:22:51 EST 2010

I also found this. Of particular interest is the section on double dollar sign quoting:

4.1.2.4. Dollar-Quoted String Constants

While the standard syntax for specifying string constants is usually convenient, it can be difficult to understand when the desired string contains many single quotes or backslashes, since each of those must be doubled. To allow more readable queries in such situations, PostgreSQL provides another way, called "dollar quoting", to write string constants.      A dollar-quoted string constant consists of a dollar sign ($), an optional "tag" of zero or more characters, another dollar sign, an arbitrary sequence of characters that makes up the string content, a dollar sign, the same tag that began this dollar quote, and a dollar sign. For example, here are two different ways to specify the string "Dianne's horse" using dollar quoting:

$$Dianne's horse$$
$SomeTag$Dianne's horse$SomeTag$

Here's the link: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-syntax-lexical.html

Bob