OT: Powers of Ten

Colin Holgate coiin at verizon.net
Sun Dec 12 20:14:38 EST 2010

On Dec 12, 2010, at 7:01 PM, Terry Judd wrote:

> Really nice Colin and they don't look at all dated. Are they still in use?

I'm not sure. It's a few years since I was there, and at that time the size scales ones were still in use, on four screens in this area:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0d/Rose_center_scales_of_the_universe.jpg

but it never was a very good idea to put LCD touch screens next to massive windows. The timeline one was in use on eight screens on the spiral ramp, but they had replaced those with still images I think. The formation one was in use on three pedestal screens in the lower area. If you look at this picture:

http://image60.webshots.com/160/5/7/23/538350723TbsQKJ_fs.jpg

the mother with the pink sweater is watching her son using one of them. Also, the satellite dish you see has the same animation projected onto it. Again, not something that works too well with such huge windows, but they look better at night.

The kiosks were done using Director 7, and the animations made mostly with After Effects. I made the spiral galaxy using 50,000 sprites in Director, and some of the forming of planets were done using Director too.