How do you compare negative numbers with positive numbers?

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Sun Dec 12 15:34:40 EST 2010

Hi Charles,

It's been a long time for me, but if I remember well you want either the first differences or the standard deviation.

function mean theNumbers
  return sum(theNumbers)/number of items of theNumbers
end mean

function firstDifferences theNumbers
  put mean(theNumbers) into myMean
  repeat for each line myLine in theNumbers
    add abs(myLine-myMean) to myCumulDiff
  end repeat
  return myCumulDiff/number of items of theNumbers
end firstDifferences

function standardDeviation
  put mean(theNumbers) into myMean
    repeat for each line myLine in theNumbers
    add( abs(myLine-myMean))^2 to myCumulDiff
  end repeat
  return sqrt(myCumulDiff/number of items of theNumbers)
end standardDeviation

on mouseUp
  put "-3.5,2.23" into myRow
  put mean(myRow) into myMean
  put firstDifferences(myRow) into myMeanDifferences
  put standardDeviation(myRow) into myStandardDeviation
  -- do with the variable whatever you want
end mouseUp

(Untested, please mind typos and other mistakes)

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com