ANN: glx2 is now open source

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Dec 8 23:23:04 EST 2010

J. Landman Gay wrote:

>>> Isn't that in violation of the RR license?
>>
>> Hmmm. In what way? Standard rules apply: it's made with RR, so it
>> would have to say so; you can't claim you wrote it, it's Jerry's
>> original work
>>

> Was just wondering about the clause that forbids us to make an IDE.

Section 4L is the "Digital Chisel" clause, and while it does prevent
shipping "created software" that's marketed as a RAD tool, offers a
scripting language, or edit LiveCode scripts on its own, that section
also explicitly exempts from those prohibitions anything that requires a
LiveCode license to run:

   l) You are prohibited from creating or distributing Created Software
   to be used and marketed as a generic rapid application development
   tool. Any Created Software that you produce that requires the end
   user to use a Licensed Edition of the LiveCode Software will not be
   considered as being prohibited, nor will any Created Software that
   does not involve any sort of script editing. You are also prohibited
   from creating or distributing Created Software with the primary
   purpose of being used as a generic Player application for Created
   Software built with any edition of LiveCode that does not include
   the desktop standalone building capability. This clause is intended
   to prevent you from using the LiveCode Software to produce something
   that is directly damaging to our business. In the event that either
   you or RunRev determines that your software is in such competition,
   you must withdraw the Created Software immediately. It is agreed
   that producing software that is in competition with the LiveCode
   product could cause irreparable harm and injury and RunRev will be
   entitled, in addition to any other rights and remedies it may have
   at law or in equity, to an interdict, injunction or other similar
   relief enjoining or restraining you from doing or continuing to
   distribute such Created Software.

So it looks like MetaCard is safe. ;)

And GLX too.

--