IDE Save

Peter Haworth pete at mollysrevenge.com
Wed Dec 8 16:00:00 EST 2010


The standalone is a new situation for me but I have experienced  
perhaps a dozen instances of missing saves in the couple of years I've  
been using Rev/LC.  To be clear, I'm talking about script edit changes  
here not card layouts or object property changes.  I definitely try to  
save more often these days and I also have Time Machine backing up  
every hour so these happenings cause less grief now than they used to  
but unfortunately that make it hard for me to come up with a recipe to  
reproduce them.

In fact, there is the opposite problem with changing the layout of a  
card - changes like that seem to take immediate effect even if you say  
you don't want to save changes when you close the card!  Add a control  
to a card, close the card and request "Don't Save" then open it  
again.  The control will still be there. Same problem if you delete a  
control, or move a control.

And it's not just layout changes.  If I change the name of a control  
on a card using the property inspector, close the card and select  
"Don't Save", then open the card again, the control has the changed  
name not the original one. I've never understood just exactly what it  
is that gets saved when you close a card in the IDE.  Sure isn't the  
layout or control properties, they're already saved .  Maybe it's the  
data content of the card?

I've learned to deal with these situations through experience but they  
didn't exactly inspire my confidence in the product when I first  
started using it

Pete Haworth

On Dec 8, 2010, at 12:18 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> On 12/8/10 1:03 PM, Peter Haworth wrote:
>> Well I'm not sure I'm ready to say that save as standalone NEVER  
>> saves
>> script changes, just that ti didn.t appear to in this particular
>> instance. I can't figure out what I did differently this time  
>> around to
>> cause that problem. I guess the real message is that you can't rely  
>> on
>> the IDE to save when it should and you have to deal with it however  
>> you
>> can. Personally, I think that's a ridiculous situation but it is  
>> what it
>> is.
>
> I have only had a no-save issue once in the entire time I've used  
> LiveCode/Rev, and it happened just last week. I had cloned a  
> substack using the message box. Clones appear with a new, unique  
> name ("Copy of xx") and it behaved normally until I closed the  
> cloned stack. After that the IDE acted like there were two stacks  
> with the same name and was saving my changes to the clone instead of  
> the original -- even though the clone was closed. I thought it  
> wasn't saving at all until I re-opened the clone and saw later  
> changes in there.
>
> I was talking to someone about it and RR would like a repeatable  
> recipe, but of course the issue is intermittent for you, and only  
> happend to me once. If you can produce a recipe, they'd like to  
> know. The reason I think your issue and mine are similar is because  
> the standalone builder also clones/copies stacks. RR says there  
> should be no problems with cloning mainstacks but there may be an  
> issue with substacks.
>
> Obviously it isn't a widespread problem, or no one would have been  
> able to create standalones all this time. So there is something else  
> involved we need to track down.
>
> Aside from this one incident, I've never had a no-save problem. But  
> I tend to be trigger-happy with Cmd-S so maybe I just keep ahead of  
> the IDE.
>
> -- 
> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com
> HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> use-livecode at lists.runrev.com
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your  
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>





More information about the Use-livecode mailing list