"show package contents"

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Dec 2 16:07:27 EST 2010

On 12/1/10 8:18 PM, Mark Smith wrote:
> I have a similar situation... a main "splash" exe and then my
 > real application stack in a substack (because I want to be able
> to save to it).

I think you mean a separate stack file, rather than a substack, right?

> 1. is the process of creating something like this "integrated folder"
> documented somewhere (and apologies if I read it many times in the
> User Guide and just not recognized it... so I guess part 2 is: does
> it go by a specific name in the User Guide?)

It isn't unique to LiveCode, it's just how OS X apps work. All apps on
OS X are really folders. If you're running OS X, you can show the
package contents of anything in the Applications folder and they'll all
be the same (the one exception is old Rosetta apps, which are a
hold-over from OS 9.) When LiveCode makes an app for OS X, it follows
convention and creates it in the standard way as an "application
bundle", which is a fancy way of saying "application folder." If it
didn't, your standalone wouldn't launch.

So there's nothing you need to do differently, your standalones are
already folders under the hood.

> 2. In my current implementation I just have the stack location hard
> coded into the splash... obviously not very flexible. Are there
> better ways of finding and accessing things (and commands to do this)
> if you create an "integrated folder".

I'd use a relative file path. If you don't know what that would be, tell
us where your stacks are located in relation to the standalone and we
can help.

If you want your separate stacks to be located inside the application
bundle instead of outside of it on OS X, then include them in the Stacks
pane of the Standalone Builder. That will place them inside the bundle
on OS X (next to the engine in Contents/MacOS/), though they'll still be
in the main folder on other operating systems. Only OS X has application
bundles.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com