OT: MacBookPro advice needed.

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Apr 29 12:12:46 EDT 2010

My only caution to this approach is if something goes horribly awry in your Bootcamp installation, it's a wipe and reinstall in your future, just like with an actual Windows machine. Also the amount of disk space your Windows partition takes out of your Mac hard drive is fixed.

Parallels however has a dynamically expanding disk image, so you can claim 120 gigs, but if Windows only really takes up 15 gigs, that is all the hard drive space it will use on the Mac. And back to my original point, you can install everything you need in your Windows OS, update everything, get it all set up just the way you want it, then quit Parallels and backup the image file, so that a complete system and software restore is a matter of deleting the bad image, copying the backup and renaming it what the original was. 15 minutes and you are back in business. They also have a drive image snapshot feature which you can configure as you please. And if you are sharing your Mac folders with Windows there is no loss of data.

And Sarah, let me express my utter horror that you let your kids play games on your development computer. I trust that any woman brilliant enough to develop software, has not provided an Administrator account in either OS to the little gremlins?

Bob