OT: MacBookPro advice needed.

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Apr 29 12:03:09 EDT 2010

I think the difference between the two is mainly screen real estate. I personally like room to stretch out so I have the 17" model. My advice in any case is if you are going to be running VM's, get at least 4 gigs of ram and a large HD. The ones they come with these days are pretty large so you may not have to bump that up. If you plan on running all three OSes and a lot of apps in each one simultaneously, I'd get 8 gigs of RAM.

Screen real estate can be somewhat resolved with an external monitor, but if you will be working at a desk it begs the question why the portable. Obviously you like to be mobile when doing computer work.

I use Parallels, and I find it superior to VMWare in many respects, not the least of which is the ability to configure multiple network devices independently in the guest OS. (VMWare may have caught up in this regard though.) They have a couple of display modes which almost make the Windows environment disappear. That can be disconcerting if you use the Windows Desktop a lot like many people do. But it's a hotkey to switch between Windowed mode and Crystal or Coherence mode so it's not too big a deal.

They also have a sharing feature which redirects your Windows documents, pictures, music and desktop folders to point to your Mac ones as a method of sharing files seamlessly between the Mac and the Windows environment. This can be a real boon if you work a lot with Office files, and especially Revolution projects.

Bob