User Extensions/Externals

Graham & Heather Harrison crw at nosirrah.com
Wed Apr 28 08:42:20 EDT 2010

Mark Schonewille wrote:

> Why would you want to access this from a rev script? Once you deploy your software, no one is interested in your My Revolution Enterprise/Studio folder.
>
> What exactly do you want to do?
>
> Inside the IDE, you can call the choosecustomizationpath command.

I am nowhere near deploying, just learning. This parameter is available, but seemingly not used by rev until you rub it's nose in it. Since I dislike doing things twice, I see no reason to repeat the information in a rev script. And the two lessons available, get around the problem by making the user select the file, which is just as unpalatable.

Now you introduce choosecutomizationpath which may be a good solution but I can find no reference to it in the user guide, or the dictionary. Not the first such omission by any means.

Actually, Jacque's suggestion:
>  I usually put the external in the same working folder with my stack and point the stack's externals property to a relative file path.
sounds very good to me. As soon as I decipher the guide's explanation I will give it a go.