OT: MacBookPro advice needed.

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 28 03:34:15 EDT 2010

Modern versions of both parallels and fusion can run multiple
instances of Windows while running OSX.

If you purchase a MacBook now vs buy a used model from a private
party, you will be working with Snow Leopard.  You need to check for
compatibilities and ask specifically about Snow Leopard to make sure
you will get the performance you want.

Do you have the option of visiting an Apple store?  The one in Vegas
is very busy, very helpful, and has a well-trained staff that I have
found tells is like it is and not just to sell computers.

The largest drain on performance is running graphic/video apps no
matter what OS, so triple boot may depend on which apps.  I run my
MacBook 13 inch (single boot only) with a second monitor so screen
size is not the issue in my office.  I think the adapter mini-VGA
comes with a new MacBook, so the external monitor is simply plug and
play without reboot.  OSX moves all the windows and desktop icons
automatically so you can switch on the fly, even back and forth if
necessary.

MacFixiT.com usually has a wealth of info about all the glitches/
tricks and presents a high volume of searchable contributor material.
The VMWare support site also has a wealth of articles about specific
programs and compatibilities.

Good luck,

On Apr 27, 2010, at 3:46 PM, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> I'd like advice in two areas .....
>
> 1. Should I buy the 13-inch or the 15-inch ?
> I can compare the screen sizes, and the resolution and even the
> relative weights.
> But I don't have a realistic idea of how much faster the Intel i5 is
> over the older Dual Core.
> So any advice about performance, or pointers to reliable benchmark
> sites for Mac ?
>

> 2. I plan to dual-boot or triple-boot OSX, Win 7 and Linux (some
> kind). Probably just using Bootcamp, but I might want to use VmWare
> or other VM later.
> Any advice on setting the machine up to make this easy ?
>
> Thanks

Jim Ault
Las Vegas