Mac Scrolling

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 20:26:03 EDT 2010

>> It appears that the problem lies between rev and the trackpad
>> of my 17" unibody MBP.
>>
>> Because I am so used to tap-click, I didn't think to use
>> physical-click in rev. It turns out that single-physical-click
>> works at all times, irrespective of the trackpad setting. The
>> vanilla setting for trackpad is NO tap-click. When I started
>> the new installation I used physical-click without realising
>> the implications.
>>
>> If tap-click is set without dragging (probably an unusual setting)
>> then no combination of taps works for scrolling in rev.
>>
>> If tap-click is set with dragging (my usual setting) then single-tap
>> does nothing in rev, double-tap works like a single-click.
>>
>> Can someone test rev scrolling on a laptop with tap facilities. If
>> it is not just my MBP then rev will need to look at this.
>
> Confirmed here:  Finder and Firefox both respond to the first tap, but in
> Rev the first tap is lost in the scrollbars for both fields and groups,
> requiring either a second tap or a physical click instead.
>
> I've noticed mixed behavior with tap vs click in other apps too, though
> offhand I can't recall what they are.  Do any of you have examples of taps
> and clicks being handled differently by other apps?
>
> What's especially weird here is that I had previously thought that the tap
> triggered the same event record as is generated for a click when that option
> is turned on.
>
> But since Rev and at least a few other apps treat some taps different than
> clicks, it would seem the event record or some other aspect of the
> communication between the OS and the app is indeed different for taps than
> clicks.

I have an Apple Magic Mouse and I use the BetterTouchTool utility to
allow me to tap instead of clicking.
I always scroll by swiping, so I hadn't noticed the scroll bar
problem, but I can see it now I test for it.

I don't have any problem clicking a button with just a mouseUp
handler, but if I have a mouseDown handler that does something, then a
lot of the time it will miss the mouseUp message.
I wonder is this what is happening in the scroll bars too?

Cheers,
Sarah

P.S. I will add these thoughts to the bug report.