Specialfolderpath (26) and roaming

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Apr 18 21:29:09 EDT 2010

David Glasgow wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> My platform specific saving data script now works fine.... thanks for
> the advice so far.
>
> However, I was thrown a bit because Specialfolderpath (26) on my
> Vista machine points to a folder ..../appdata/roaming

But it's inside your user folder. Pre-Vista, it points to the user data
in application data, and Vista + it points to the user data in
appdata/roaming. It's just a change in folder structure. Both places are
the approved location for storing user-specific data.

> As far as I can make out, if a user is logged into a server, this
> directory is saved there, and will be accessible whatever machine is
> subsequently used to log in.  I have to say I don't quite understand
> how that would work in practice, because presumably each machine
> could have a different variant of appdata/roaming......

No, it should save to the local drive. SpecialFolderPath points to the
local system.

> Apart form not quite getting what is going on with the roaming thing,
> my questions are:
>
> 1/ Does Specialfolderpath (26) serve different purposes on other Win
> versions?

No. Same thing.

> 2/ Does it matter that a standalone for a single user & non networked
> computer is saving information in the ..../appdata/roaming directory?

No. Both save to the local drive.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com