OT: Microsoft is really annoying

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Fri Apr 16 15:27:18 EDT 2010

> >> Bernard Devlin wrote:
> >>
> >> I think all Windows installations must be assumed to be toxic.

> >   On 16/04/2010 21:05, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> >
> > Yes, that's the assumption I use too. It's also the reason I'm so much
> > in favor of running Windows in a virtual machine. In Parallels (and
> > maybe other emulators too, I'm not sure,) you can set a sort of
> > bookmark for the current state of the machine, and when you're done
> > working you can revert to that state. That removes anything that's
> > been installed on the virutal hard drive since the state was set.
> >
> > So I run Windows virtually, keep no important data on it, use it only
> > for testing Rev apps and creating installers, and never use it to for
> > email or web browsing. I've got virus detection software installed but
> > it has never identified any malware. Rev's direct internet access
> > works fine and I don't mess with anything else internet-related. So
> > far, so good, and I haven't had to revert to the saved state yet.

> From: Richmond Mathewson
>
> I run XP on a heap of old junk (Well; a COMPAQ Pentium 3, 256 MB RAM);
> headlessly - administered via my G4 Mac;
> it has no internet connexion and is ONLY there for checking
> Windows builds.
>
> Nevertheless I am already, after 3 months, getting endless error
> messages in the middle of the Desktop. I really
> wonder whether it is worth the effort reinstalling!

I use Windows day-in, day-out, for software engineering, electronic
engineering, math, Photoshop editing, mapping, and constant web browsing.
I've been a heavy Windows user since 3.0, and am currently running XP and
Win7 on three machines. Although I have a virus scanner, I don't even bother
to run it in the background, only invoking it manually when I download an
install file from the internet.

Despite all this, I've _never_ had a virus or any kind of malware. My only
system failures have been the occasional result of a RAM or hard disk
failure. So either I'm doing something terribly right, or you all are doing
something terribly wrong.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com