Debian, Sidux, Ubuntu, reference distributions for Rev

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 12:04:27 EDT 2010

  On 13/04/2010 17:59, Peter Alcibiades wrote:
> Oh dear, Oh dear, Oh dear.  If the best and the brightest here don't
> understand this stuff about Linux, what hope is there for Rev on Linux?

Yes; Well; we are just a bunch of 'thickies'.
> Betamax and VHS were different products.  It was one or the other.  You got
> your stuff to run on one, it would not run on the other unles you redid it.
> You supported one, you did not support the other.  Tapes for one would not
> play on the other.
>
> These things are not like that.  Sidux is Debian.  Ubuntu is Debian.  Just
> like Windows Vista Beta is Vista.  Just like Rev 4.x public beta is Rev.

I am quite convinced, considering how much of this has been hammered home
(overly much, perhaps) over the last few days, that we all are well
aware that
Ubuntu, Sidux (not forgetting Mint et al) are Debian derivatives and
therefore
Debian dependent.

Even if, in the case of most of us who have some, vague, nodding
acquaintance
with Linux hadn't worked that out donkey's years ago . . .   :)

> If Debian were to vanish, there would be no more sidux, and no more Ubuntu
> either.  There is a reason they are called .deb files, there is a reason
> they can all use apt-get.

Surely not? I suspect that Thee, Peter, and Me (Richmond) are not the only
people who know the odd thing about Linux . . . . . . . .

There is something called "overkill".