[OT] What's an iPad?

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Sun Apr 11 16:08:53 EDT 2010

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> On 11/04/2010 22:32, Judy Perry wrote:
>> That be sounding pretty jank to me :-P
>>
> Judy, if your teenagers are only drinking tea (even if it is really just
> sugar solution)
> be very very happy . . .

--Yeah, I wish.  But, no.  And, fortunately, they're not actually mine.

> "1. Jank.
>
> adj- broken; unnecessarily redundant, superfluous, or meaningless;
> stupid or ridiculously moronic; bootleg or of questionable quality
>
> Fuck! This CD player I bought off Ebay is jank. "
>
> Err . . . that just sounds like 'junk' with a changed vowel. Tells you
> everything about the 'Yoof' of today - they cannot even think up
> a few new words!

--Well, it, and its companion adjective denk/dank, both have roots in the
drug culture, as does one of the teens in question, and hence they were
shocked to hear my 9 year olds repeating these words in public.  They seem
not to have grasped that you don't teach kids words you don't want them to
be using.

Reminds me of the joke about the parent who tries to dismiss his child's
repeating the word f*ck by blowing it off as a word to describe a female
duck -- invariably that child will choose to scream it at the top of his
lungs during the next school field trip ;-)

Judy