RunRev and Linux

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Apr 11 14:03:30 EDT 2010

Peter Alcibiades wrote:

> my suggestion to anyone testing Rev on Linux is to get as close to
> bare metal as you can.

That won't be the right test. If you look on page 18 of the User Guide,
it explains the requirements. It's true, I believe, that testing is done
on Ubuntu because that is the most popular distro right now. The user
guide also says that while they strive for compatibility, they cannot
deliver to everyone. Certain libraries are required, and they mention
that Gnome has the ones you need. You've said you don't use that. Maybe
you do have the necessary libraries installed, but I'm not familiar
enough to know what those are.

A better test on your end would be to bite the bullet and install
Ubuntu; then see what issues continue to exist. After that, maybe you
can diagnose the differences in your preferred distro so you know what
may be missing.

Re: RR offering a Linux version. You have it a little backward. The
engine started out many years ago as a 'nix-only version of HyperCard
with some additional features. For a long time, that was the only
platform it was available on, since the creator Scott Raney was entirely
a 'nix man. Eventually he ported it to Windows and later to Mac. When RR
acquired the engine, they retained the Linux builds, but the vast
majority of their customers by that time were Windows and Mac users. I
think Richard has it right, that there is a necessary balance between
the user base and the amount of attention and resources a platform
receives. To make things worse, lots of Linux users expect software to
be free and won't look twice at anything that isn't, so there's less
incentive to spend a lot of effort creating something that few may purchase.

That said, I agree that if a Linux version is available, it should run
without problems on at least some distros. If you can isolate those
problems on a distro that is stated to be supported (Ubuntu at least)
then those certainly deserve some attention from the team. As Linux
gains in popularity on the desktop, I have no doubt that the team could
provide more expanded support.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com