Modifiable IDE [Was: Question about RevMobile]

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 13:56:07 EDT 2010

  On 10 Apr 2010, at 18:29, Web Admin Himalayan Academy wrote:
>>> How would we all like it if RunRev allowed any third party developer to
>> just upload "stuff" that was automatically incorporated into the IDE, which
>> then broke the IDE?

Well . . . I could point out that this happens all the time elsewhere:
in the field(s)
of religion - there is a constant ferment of reformers/leaders/thinkers
and so on
who produce new, reformed, extended versions of the 'original' model:
most of them
end up as nasty little cults (or nasty big cults) some of them are a
distinct improvement
on what they are supposedly modifying/improving/extending.

It seems, unfortunately, unless one wants to become a closed-shop (and
that can, itself,
become like an ingrown toenail), one has to put up with the nasties for
the sake of the
odd goody that arises.

Obviously uploading things which are directly incorporated into the IDE
does seem
very risky. However, individuals making modified IDEs (Linux, Protestantism,
Shankaracharya, Buddha - I apologise to the millions of folk I have
offended in
drawing those parallels) as such is not a bad thing.