StandAlone - where is the stack window?

Tereza Snyder tereza at califex.com
Wed Sep 30 09:36:42 EDT 2009

On Sep 29, 2009, at 9:53 PM, Mike Arnold wrote:

> Tereza,
>
> That is it exactly.  I discovered it just before I looked back at
> the discussion list.  I started out by taking everything out, then
> adding things back a little at a time, the repeat never ended (as I
> intend) but as you pointed out that means it doesn't return to allow
> the window to be opened.  That is why the preOpenStack isn't issued,
> then the stack window is not opened and therefore the openStack is
> never issued.
>
> I am not sure how I came up with startup, but when I take the loop
> out of it, the window appears as I would expect.
>
> Is there a documented message order for things like application
> startup/exit, window open/close, etc?
>
> Must I allow the openStack to return (as you have suggested with
> send in time) or can I just put the loop in openStack, i.e. will
> this loop also stop-up the message pipeline in some way?

I wouldn't recommend putting the repeat loop in any handler of a
RunRev message. I imagine there's a dispatcher in the engine awaiting
a return, a situation that could get its feet tangled later. I often
find that if I put  heavy-duty application-specific code in a (pre)
opencard or (pre)openstack handler I let myself in for difficult
debugging sessions later. The approach:

on opencard
     send "doTheWorst" to me in 0 milliseconds
end opencard

works for me.

I believe the Amazing Richard Gaskin has the definitive answer for you:

<http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/revolution_message_path.html

Tereza Snyder
Califex Software, Inc.
<www.califexsoftware.com>