{OT] I went for awalk this morning.

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 07:18:55 EDT 2009

François Chaplais wrote:

> Le 30 sept. 09 à 10:24, Richmond Mathewson a écrit :
>
> <snip>
>

>> Before anybody mentions speed; that really
>> doesn't fuss me.
>
> most things a computer does can be done with paper and (maybe colored)
> pencils.
> In my early years of college, numerical computations were done with a
> book of logarithmic & trigonometric tables.
> On sale here:
> http://www.priceminister.com/offer/buy/196459/Bouvart-Table-De-Logarithmes-Sans-Formules-Jaune-Livre.html
>
> used: up from 0.90€
> new: up from 7.68€
> (can be easily used by non french speaking persons).
>
> Cut and paste in my PhD dissertation were implemented with actual
> scissors and glue.
> I have to confess that I used a copier to implement the "copy" part.
>
> Kind regards,
>     François

I was recently in Scotland (attending the RunRev conference) and popped
into a
house my wife and I own up there: in the attic I was very glad to find
my English
sliderule (having had to 'do' with a Russian one for the last 4 years)
lurking there!

I really cannot be bothered with super-fast computers as they don't give
ME time
to think or gulp coffee between doing all sorts of horrible things
outwith my
control. I want a compuer that serve me, and not a computer that requires me
to serve it!