possible valuable tip for improving Quicktime playback in Vista - please test if you have time

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Tue Sep 29 21:49:00 EDT 2009

This tip is for slower computers running Vista, like older or cheaper
models.

1. Download or encode a 640 x 360 H.264 movie, or, go to:

http://dvcreators.net/media/misc/test/

and right click "san_fran_trolly.mov" and save to disk.

2. Play it in Quicktime Player in Vista on a cheap netbook. Plays
pretty good, close to or at 30 fps.

3. Put a player object on a Rev card, (and maybe a button to set the
fileName, and alwaysBuffer), and make a standalone.

4. Load the same movie in. Playback is awful, a lot of skipped frames.
Alwaysbuffer true, false, doesn't make much difference.

5. Now, quit the standalone, right-click it, and under "Compatibility
mode", check the box and choose "Windows XP (Service Pack 2) from the
option menu.

6. Load the standalone again and voila! Smooth (or much improved)
playback.

My guess is that Quicktime Player is preset to an XP compatibility
mode? Or uses a different method to play Quicktime movies than
Revolution on Vista?

I'm not sure what's happening, but if you have clients with cheap,
slow Windows computers and you are delivering H.264 .mp4 or .mov video
to them, this will save you!