Idiot's guide to regular expressions?

Florian von Walter fvwalter at web.de
Mon Sep 28 10:59:08 EDT 2009

Graham,

a very good tutorial and reference has always been "Mastering Regular
Expressions" by Jeffrey Friedl:
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596528126
http://regex.info/

This book explains how to use regular expressions and it also covers the
different styles of regular expressions.

As far as I remember the PCRE implementation of regular expressions
covers the Perl5 regex style so any decent introduction into Perl5-style
regular expressions will do it as well, for example:
http://perldoc.perl.org/perlre.html (Reference Manual)
http://perldoc.perl.org/perlrequick.html (Quick Intro)
http://perldoc.perl.org/perlretut.html (Longer Intro)

Regards, Florian