Challenge: to do something like this in a revlet.

Robert Maniquant rman at free.fr
Fri Sep 25 12:05:30 EDT 2009

Hi, I'm working on a highly structured web project that now seems possible
with the revlet approach. I do find this example VERY INTERESTING outlining
some major design issues on which I'm sure we can combine our thoughts for
the best of all.

1) the major point I came accross is INDEXING (precisely google indexing!).
That lead me :

- first to a page design that leaves all html structure for navigation and
only uses reduced revlet chunks. But this still leaves out quite a lot of
text outside the indexing process. And that is not particularly appealing;
This would otherwie be my best choice!

- secondly to a 100% html page design as simple as possible, and strictly
informative, plus a link to download the full screen revlet, where
everything is dynamic like the example above. That's my as best can be
choice yet.

- thirdly to a mix where I have a mostly html page with small revlets
incorporated that talk to each other and that only provide the dynamic
functions like participating, editing, and viewing statistics, dynamic
numbers which are of little use for indexing. So far this is not trivial to
do, and I have not fully tested that approach. This is a maybe approach in
research!

So I stick so far to possibility 2 : simple cms design + link to fully
dynamic version that can be revlet or desktop intracting directly with the
database sitting on on-rev.

What are your thoughts fellows? Somebody mentionned that flash can be
indexed and accessed by indexing automates : how is that possible? thanks!

2) the font thing seems trivial to me since it is always possible in the
design to take that into account and have a format revlet (all revlet on a
page can talk via variable sharing) that drives the size of the fonts. And
this is even more trivial in a big full screen revlet.

3) on the other hand the dependancie on quicktime is to me a pain in the....
! We are soon going to have HTML5 media tags. How wil that relate to
quicktime?? Will that be more advanced and quicktime independant than revlet
will be???

I really see revlets as a neat way to do small buttons, or bigger dynamic
buttons, banners, with some kind of feedback (numbers, wheather, the
clock!), forms, particularly editing forms, e.i replacing obscures php
objects by readable and easier to make and maintain rev objects. These
actually are the examples provided on the revMedia site...

To summerize : I see providing full revlet interface as a complement,
possibly with a fee to account for a nicer experience, but never as a
replacement to a site, mainly for indexing reasons. And that may be a neat
way in the future to provide a two levels web experience : a free one html,
moderately interactive, but well indexed, and a paid level with a revlet, a
high level of interaction and more subtle interface. What are your thoughts?

Food for thoughts,
Robert

why is this msg not accepted???