How to get a return value from a vbs file?

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Thu Sep 24 09:10:09 EDT 2009

Hello,

following Jim B's advice I want to change the user rights of my program
(-sub) dir to be able to write a file with rev to that dir. Creating the dir
at setup with the correct rights s one thing. Now I want to change the
rights with icacls at an existing dir.

When calling icacls from rev directly in the shell I get a return value from
icacls, but a standard user may not change the priviliges. But as far as I
know, I can't give a parameter "runas" (Admin) to the shell. So I decided to
create a small vbs file (without actually knowing vbs), where I could run
the vbs file with "runas" to be able to change the rights of the program sub
dir.

Where I now stuck is, that I don't know how to get back any return value
from the vbs script file back into my rev, e.g the result of calling icacls.
I can't just say "return" in vbs.

Any hint very welcome (Rev 3.5, Vista)

Tiemo