Distributing Mac apps

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 20:58:14 EDT 2009

Daring Fireball has an interesting article discussing the pros & cons
of the various methods of distributing Mac apps.
<http://daringfireball.net/2009/09/how_should_mac_apps_be_distributed>

In response, someone else posted a complementary idea, having the app
offering to move itself to the Applications folder if it is launched
from any other folder.
<http://www.potionfactory.com/node/251>

In previous posts to this list, I have always recommended the people
distribute Mac apps on a disk image, but after reading these, I am
seriously considering going to just a plain zip file.
I'm not sure about offering to move an app that isn't inside an
Applications folder. I have sub-folders inside my Apps folder and I
know other people use the user's Apps folder instead of the general
Apps folder, so there are more considerations there.

Still, interesting to consider it all.

Cheers,
Sarah