does a script stops at get shell?

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Tue Sep 22 11:29:33 EDT 2009

Hi again Tiemo,

,
> I am updating files in the program dir. And I am using vbs, because I
> can
> upgrade the user rights to admin with "runas" (on Vista and Win 7),
> what I
> don't know how to do with rev without being virtualized. Is it
> possible?

Yes. I've mentioned this solution before but I will again. Rights in the
Program Files directory of Vista and Windows 7 are inherited. So, because
the rights of the Program Files dir itself are set to Admin only, all
directories under this directory are Admin only.

Now, when you first install your app, you must use an installer. Your
installer must be running as Admin in order to install. Check the
capabilities of your installer. See if it has the ability to set the rights
of a directory. If it does, then when you first install your app, or on an
update, where you use an installer to update your app, set the rights of
"your" program's directory (only!) or a subdirectory of your app's directory
to Everyone. Do not do this for the Program Files directory itself, because
this will unprotect every program's directory under it on your user's
machine!

But, if you set the rights to your own app's directory to Everyone, then
from there on out, your rev app can write to  files in your own app's
directory(s). If you set the rights of the root directory of your app to
Everyone, then all sub-directories of your app inherit and are set to
Everyone. If you just set a subdirectory of your app to Everyone, then your
Rev app will only be able to write to that sub-directory and its
subdirectories.

Aloha from Hawaii,

Jim Bufalini