[SOT] Haiku ???

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 13:32:19 EDT 2009

Andre Garzia wrote:
> Lynn,
> the BeOS IP passed from hand to hand and now is owned by Access (who brought
> it from palm) (whoever they are).
>
> BeOS was Great! I used it a lot, now, as soon as Haiku becomes a little more
> stable, it will become my own desktop os here for most of my computers,
> except my macs... if Rev ever run in Haiku, then, I will reach nerd rapture,
> singularity, or nirvana...
>
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Lynn Fredricks <
> lfredricks at proactive-intl.com> wrote:
>

>>> SOT - Slightly Off Topic
>>>
>>> http://www.haiku-os.org/
>>>
>>> Will RunRev be able, in the future, to produce standalones
>>> for this Be OS clone?
>>>
>> BeOS...alas poor yorick. Jean-Louis Gassée got me to write for the BeOS
>> Developer Journal and there was some efforts going on to make way for BeOS
>> software in the channel. He was a really nice guy but he didn't count of SJ
>> turning BeOS into Brand Zero. As far as I know, Sony bought the corpse of
>> BeOS - did they do anything with it?

I never cease to wonder why:

1. Some people only seem to support commercial OSes and software.

2. Why they assume that as the world is currently dominated by the 90%
Windows - 10% Macintosh
"axis of evil" it will always continue that way.

Now I know that, owing to the "axis of evil" anybody who wants to get
anywhere has got a long,
hard slog ahead; and that 99% of the "other" OSes are doomed from the
start as they just don't
have the infrastructure and the money (plus the dedicated user base)
that Mac and Win have.
That doesn't necessarily mean they should not be supported in their
endeavours, even if, at the
very least to act as gadflies to prick Mac and Win to clean up their
acts and keep ahead of the ball.

Of course the same should also be said about Runtime Revolution; it
increasingly looks like a
strong contender that may yet displace quite a few of the market
leaders: what then?

Presumably our friends at head office in Edinburgh will not morph into
look-alikes of Uncle Bill
and Co! But to guarantee this there must always be competitive pressure
both from inside
(users) and from outside (other competing products): we all know what a
lack of competition
does; one only has to look at what Eastern Europe looked like 25 years ago.