How to create a n-tier app with Revolution

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 16 19:06:57 EDT 2009

On Sep 16, 2009, at 3:29 PM, Jérôme Rosat wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Wouaw ! (a French expression which expresses my admiration)
>
> Thank you very much for these explanations.
>
> To be honest, I imagined a simpler concepte for my POC ;-)
>
>> This particular customer design requires that all the Rev apps be
>> running constantly 24/7, so cgi is not a good option.
>
> Why cgi is not a good option ? In your case or generally in a n-tier
> structure developed with Revolution ?
A CGI script or program is run as a new instance with each query
received by apache, then disappears when it finishes.  All the
variables evaporate.  There is a variation called Fast CGI, but this
is not always a good use of web server resources and has some
downsides.  In my design, it is far, far, far, far better to make one
or two rev.apps to do the real work.  Did I mention that it is far
better?

>> I use PHP in apache to receive a query from outside, then a UDP
>> socket to send a packet to the revAgent.app on that same computer.
>
> If I understand the structure well, the Mac mini, on which runs the
> Apache server, "distributes work" to the other Mac min ?
Yes, signals and data are sent between all (5) computers.

>> In a few weeks I should have some working examples that I will make
>> available as public examples, especially for members of this list.
>> I will convert it to an all-Rev demo and notify you in the next
>> week or two when it is ready.
>
> Thank you again, it will be very instructive.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas