Groups: Bugs and features ("last group" broken)?

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Wed Sep 16 15:54:37 EDT 2009

On Wed Sep 16, 2009, DunbarX at aol.com DunbarX at aol.com wrote

> Yes, I ran into at least one of your issues back in May. Check out the
> "New
> groups bugaboo" thread in the archives.
>
> Eventually I was led to a very cool feature (by Scott Rossi), the
> "templateGroup". Check this out. It is very stable. This is something
> solid; using
> the somewhat ephemeral "last" keyword as a hard tool always seemed
> like a very
> cute, but a little dishonest, methodology.
>
> Apparently this is only a problem with groups. The "last" keyword works
> fine with, say, buttons.
>
> Craig Newman

Thanks for the confirmation of one of the group issues I listed in my
post. I must have missed the thread in May being out of office and
country at that time.

Using Scott's "templategroup" proposal may be handy when only one group
building is involved.

In the case of my "Gradient Kaleidoscope" scripts I have to make
frequent use of grouping and ungrouping (the last group) of images, and
I find it easier and more convenient to use the workaround with finding
the "owner" of one of the controls that have been grouped, as in -  I
quote myself here -

  "select fld "one" and fld "two"
  group
  put the owner of fld "one" into tlastgroup"

Best regards,

Wilhelm Sanke
<http:www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>