Problems with snow leopard

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Sep 13 22:56:53 EDT 2009

stephen barncard wrote:

> As a long time mac user from the beginning, I've always thought the type and
> creator codes were VERY useful to eliminate the ambiguity of what to launch
> and I put down the PC method of using suffixes as being brain dead.

Apparently the Mac team did too, as we learned loudly when the NeXT team
followed Steve back to Apple and tried to get rid of creator codes in
their new OS X under the argument that they were unnecessary.

This internal turf war was mirrored by developers on Apple's UI
developer mailing list.

For all the many years Apple has been hosting discussion lists for
developers, to the best of my knowledge the UI list was shut down only
once, and that was over this issue.

The outcry from people like you about the merit of creator codes was
sweeping and furious, yet the NeXTites felt secure knowing that since
they had been loyal with Steve all this time their opinion would
ultimately prevail.

Among developers on the UI list this issue caused a flame war so great
the list was taken offline for quite a while, and it was many months
(more than a year IIRC) before it was resurrected.

Now, all these many years later, Apple is at last losing this
once-valuable bit of metadata.

If there is comfort in this otherwise sad passing, it's for us
multi-platform developers:

With every step Apple takes to eliminate differences between OSes, the
less forked code we need to write.  As they decrease their unique value,
they increase ours. :)

If only the world's OS vendors would come to common agreement on the
placement of dialog buttons....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World