weird card deletion anomalies

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 9 11:26:21 EDT 2009

Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Tereza Snyder wrote:
>
>> On Sep 9, 2009, at 9:16 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>
>>> I'm rewriting my script editor to use multiple cards in a single
>>> window rather than a separate window for each script.  The migration
>>> has been going well, with one oddity:
>>>
>>> When I first set this up, I had the stack's closeStack handler
>>> delete every card from #2 on:
>>>
>>>  go cd 1
>>>  repeat with i = 2 to the number of cds
>>>    delete cd 2
>>>  end repeat
>>
>> Why not use "for i = the number of cds down to 2"? Seems cleaner to
>> me. Though I know that the representation of cards in memory probably
>> has nothing to do with card order, it feels to me that peeling them
>> off the back would be cleaner than pulling them out of the middle.
>> And, as is most likely, the cards were not shuffled after they were
>> created, or inserted into the middle of the stack, it might actually
>> be relevant to the crash. I admit that's a stretch, though.
>
> It may be a long shot, but if it helps pin it down it's worth trying.
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> If it's related to the crash, however, it may raise a question about the
> stability of reordering cards.
>
> We'll see....

I just tried the change to delete cards off the back on closeStack
rather than "delete cd 2" - still crashed.  Once I removed that from
closeStack and reinstated it in the preOpenStack handler it resumed
reliable operation.

I guess the good news there is that reordering cards on the fly doesn't
seem to have a problem. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World