Internet site rules for on-Rev

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 4 10:42:53 EDT 2009

On Sep 4, 2009, at 6:15 AM, Robert Brenstein wrote:

> On 04.09.09 at 12:10 +0200 Francis Nugent Dixon apparently wrote:
>> Several years ago, when they (Who are THEY ?) opened
>> the suffix .fr, I immediately contacted a company who
>> reserves site names, and they charge me some small fee
>> every year, for retaining my site name. I am not sure
>> if site name reservation is complicated, but then I
>> suppose that if we all knew how to fill in a few forms,
>> we would never need lawyers .....
>
> Sounds like you are paying for what is calling domain parking.
> Parking refers to having a reserved a domain name which is not
> actively used. The site company maintains its record in their
> database and is charging you a small fee to keep the reservation
> active.

Ah, yes, the confusing world of internet identities and entities.
Hopefully this will shed some light.

There is a difference between
   domain registration
   domain parking
   domain active hosting

Domain registration is paying for the ownership of a domain.  It does
not have to be used.  Millions of domains are owned but not used.
The registrar maintains the records and these are available using WHOIS.
-- example  use your browser to go to      http://www.internic.net/whois.html
-- type in a Domain,     eg    on-rev.com
    Domain Name: ON-REV.COM
    Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
    Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
    Name Server: NS1.ON-REV.COM
    Name Server: NS2.ON-REV.COM
    Name Server: NS3.ON-REV.COM
--------------------

Domain parking and active hosting are part of the *hosting* service

Domain parking lets you cheaply display an "under construction"
default page on your web host.
You can register a domain and not park it anywhere but then your site
will be simply inaccessible until you get a web host.
    "404 error not found"

Domain serving means you have a home page (index.html, index.php, etc)
and other pages that respond to queries from browsers and other
programs (like Rev using the post command)
   The sequence for this to happen:
   1  Pay a registrar in order to own the domain
   2  Fill in the information, including your contact details
   3  Set the parameters for renewal, security, locking, etc
   4  Contact a hosting company (eg. On-Rev)
   5  Use cPanel to set up your home folder on the host server
   6  Find the DNS server details at On-Rev
   7  Go to your registrar site, into the administer domains area
   8  Enter the DNS details and update the registration record
   9  Wait 24 to 72 hours for all the ISP computers around the world
to be notified
  10  Everyone can now use yourDomain.com (case *insensitive*) to
reach your home folder
  11  Everyone can now use yourDomain.com/aboutUs.html (case
*sensitive* after '.com/' to reach one of your pages

The reason for case sensitive is that Unix and Linux operating systems
are case sensitive for file and folder names.  On-Rev uses Linux.

If you wish to secure the use of a domain name rather than lose it to
someone else, buy ownership with a registrar.
If you wish to park the domain to produce an under construction page,
do this with your hosting provider.

You can have more than one web hosting company, but a single domain
can only be hosted in one location.
An example would be that you have a company domain, a Facebook page,
an eBlogger blog, and some YouTube videos.
All of these are hosted on different servers but are part of your
company and marketing presence.
You could add a WordPress blog to your On-Rev site at yourDomain.com/
inhouseBlog.php using cPanel and the automatic installer.

As you can see, most of today's active businesses use several servers
hosted by different companies.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas