Line Breaks Dropped on Importing Unicode Text

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Sep 4 01:39:57 EDT 2009

I have some UTF-16 unicode raw text. If I import this into Pages, it
displays the font correctly and also the line breaks between paragraphs
correctly

But if I use this function:

on mouseUp
  answer file "Choose a unicode file to read in."
  if it is empty then exit mouseUp
  put "binfile:" & it into urlName
  replace numtochar(13) with numtochar(10) in urlName
  set the unicodeText of fld "display" to url urlName
end mouseUp

the line breaks are not appearing in the field in revolution.

Also if I try to analyze what chars are there, where the line break
should be, by selecting across a missing line break and then use this test:

on mouseUp
   set the useUnicode to true
   if the selection is empty then
      answer "No Selection" with "ok"
   end if
   put the selection into tUnicode
   put tUnicode
   repeat for each char x in tUnicode
      put  chartonum(x) & cr after tOutput
   end repeat
 put tOutput # returns empty
end mouseUp

I get nothing in the msg box. If I switch from Tamil Inaimathi (Mac
unicode font) to Anjal Chittu unicode, The Tamil displays correctly and
now I can clearly see a two byte block

space+square-box-symbol (somewhat transparent) where the line breaks
should be. But it still returns empty on an empty to determine what the
bytes are....

How do we deal with/import correctly, line breaks in unicode text in
Revolution?

I plan to create an editing environment as a revlet for online work...
and unicode will be imported and exported freely for later use in
InDesign. Obviously CRLF (or whatever it is in Unicode) needs to be
preserved.

Thanks!
Sivakatirswami
"completely Unicode newbie"